It begins as soon as the lines blur, between whether you should be putting the summer sandals away until the spring or if you should be leaving them out just in case. The nights and early mornings are frigid yet mid-afternoon it's warm enough to fold that sweater up and tuck it in your bag.
While I welcome the autumn season and most everything that comes with it- the ability to wear equestrian-style boots, eat everything apple and pumpkin flavored, and sip hot tea again- I don't welcome the beginning of flu season.
For me, the first signs began nearly a month ago as one of my roommates began to complain of feeling lethargic, having a sore throat and a pounding headache. At first we assumed it was the allergic reaction so many of us have as the seasons change...but after about a week of worsening symptoms (and an addition of some) and a visit to her doctor, it was determined she had met this season's bitchy flu.
Now it's been nearly a month and while she thought she was getting over her encounter with the flu, it seems she's had a relapse and has caught a different strand of the virus.
Ain't nobody got time for this, especially not her since she's a student and an actress in a production that debuts in a week.
As the only one in my apartment who hasn't been sick yet this season, I'm sticking to my guns by following the Flu Prevention Bible (especially since I haven't gotten the flu shot)
- SLEEP. No questions asked, just do it please
- Vitamins. A-Z are necessary! (What letter do vitamins stop at?) I've been focusing on B, C, D and Zinc
- Lotsa food! The good kinds- proteins, fruits and veggies
- Echinacea, all day e'ry day
- Soap. Cause though I love you, I don't want your cooties
- Exercise: work it, gurlfran!
- Garlic and onions. And if you're not vegan/vegetarian, good ol' homemade chicken noodle soup doesn't hurt
- Tea 'n honey. Lots and lots of honey
- Water, drink it like you're a camel
- Stay happy. Cause really, it's one of the best natural ways to prevent ilnness
How to boost your immune system : Harvard Health Publications
Things you should be doing to boost your immunity | Stay Well For Fall
Cold and Flu Prevention
Cold And Flu Prevention: 10 Natural Ways To Boost Your Immune System